Brainstormed research questions for Interdisciplinarity Group
- How do disciplines emerge/develop? (Foundational)
- How can interdisciplinarity help/hinder in the search for knowledge?
- Does successful interdisciplinary research lead to a new speciality?
- What patterns of expectations lead to lead to success of interdisciplinary approaches? (management of interdisciplinary teams)
- What constitutes a successful interdisciplinary project? (Foundational)
- What is the impact of participating in interdisciplinary projects on early stage researchers?
- What processes facilitate the appearance of interdisciplinary communications?
- What are the respective roles of people, ideas, and institutions in the emergence of interdisciplinary research?
- What are the challenges involved in doing interdisciplinary projects?
- How do we identify disciplines? (Foundational)
- How do new problems motivate/cause the emergence of new disciplines?
In answer to the question "How do we identify disciplines?" there were the following suggestions:
- Coherency of beliefs
- Similar tools, methods, and reference points
- Same Heroes
- Establishing milestones (a conference series, association, journal, summer school, phds etc)
- Specific markers (prizes, awards etc.)